Daily Archives: 02/19/2012
THE DEVIL’S BACKBONE-Mexico/Spain-2001
Directed by Guillermo del Toro
The entire time that I was watching The Devil’s Backbone I kept thinking to myself ‘I know there’s a metaphor for war in there somewhere.’ I mean, a movie that features a dropped-from-the-sky-unexploded-in-the-middle-of-an-orpahanage-courtyard bomb has got to be making some kind of statement about war, right? The only thing is that I am one of the most metaphorically challenged people on the planet. I’ll get it eventually; just not at the moment.
So, I figured the best way to approach the movie was from the point of view of it being quite a frightening little ghost story. Bingo! Guillermo del Toro’s tale of a young boy and a vengeful ghost set in an orphanage in the backdrop of the Spanish Civil War is as downright scary a film as you are ever likely to see. The best thing is that Del Toro layers the suspense on slowly; taking his time and allowing us to digest each scene and each scare as an individual moment instead of a bombardment of jump scenes. There is a style to this film that is unlike any that I’ve seen in quite some time. The only other movie that comes to mind that features such a slow build of frights is Takashi Miike’s disturbing ode to a woman scorned, Audition.
Guillermo del Toro has stated that The Devil’s Backbone and Pan’s Labyrinth are of a male and female companion piece to one another. I’ve never watched the latter film; but if it is anywhere near as satisfying as The Devil’s Backbone, then I cannot wait.
- Wednesday’s What You Should Watch – The Orphanage (dumideas.wordpress.com)
- Five Great Obscure or Lesser Known Horror Movies To Scare You This Halloween (forbes.com)
- Great Horror Movie Scores (weirdmovievillage.wordpress.com)
- Guillermo del Toro Officially Directing Emma Watson in BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (geektyrant.com)
- Guillermo del Toro Takes on Beauty and the Beast (dreadcentral.com)
- Guillermo del Toro to Direct ‘Beauty & the Beast’ Retelling with Emma Watson (screenrant.com)
- ‘Pacific Rim’ Production Update From Guillermo del Toro (screenrant.com)