Daily Archives: 04/08/2012
RED RIDING HOOD-United States/Canada-2011
Directed by Catherine Hardwicke
Written by David Johnson
My coverage of werewolf films continues with Red Riding Hood, the latest ‘effort’ from Twilight director Catherine Hardwicke. Now, I don’t want to start a war with Team Edward or Team Jacob, but I’ve never seen Twilight and I really don’t want to. The whole idea of vampires that sparkle and play softball just goes against my beliefs as a horror fan.
Then there’s Red Riding Hood. This film goes to show that having a weakness for werewolf films can sometimes be a bad thing. The whole thing feels like a bad music video from the 1980′s. I kept expecting Men Without Hats to come prancing across the screen to sing ‘Safety Dance”. Also, for a village that’s living on hard times at the edge of forest, most everyone there has beautifully coiffed and styled hair and clothes. My guess is that their stylist is the same one that did Pa Ingalls hair all those years ago on “Little House on the Prairie”.
The story line revolves around Valerie (Amanda Seyfried, Gone). Valerie loves Peter (Shiloh Fernandez, Deadgirl), but her family has already picked out Henry (Max Irons, Dorian Gray) as the man to marry her. There’s Gary Oldman as scenery chewing priest who’s come to hunt the beast and Lukas Haas as a scenery chewing priest who can’t stop kissing Gary Oldman’s ass. Oh, yeah, there’s a werewolf, too. Trust me; I just saved you from ninety minutes of torture with that synopsis. Although I am sure that I will hear some negative feedback for it.
It is my humble opinion that if Catherine Hardwicke makes another movie like this that we will be able to brand her as the Antichrist of horror. For a great werewolf film see The Howling, An American Werewolf in London, Ginger Snaps or Dog Soldiers. Red Riding Hood is the dump that the beast took in the forest.
- Director Catherine Hardwicke Talks Red Riding Hood, the Twilight Casting Connection, and More! (popsugar.com)
- Video: Amanda Seyfried Talks “Stunning” Twilight and “Sexy” Red Riding Hood (popsugar.com)
- How Tall is Amanda Seyfried Height and Weight (celebrityheightandweight.com)
- Shiloh Fernandez and Max Irons on Their Red Riding Hood Rivalry and Chemistry With Amanda Seyfried (popsugar.com)
- SCREAM QUEEN of the Month-March 2012-Emma Stone and Amanda Seyfried (jmountswritteninblood.com)
- Red Riding Hood: ‘Twilight’ version of a classic fairy tale (thehollywood411.wordpress.com)
- Amanda Seyfried and Taylor Swift Rumored for Les Miserables (screencrave.com)
- Amanda Seyfried Has a New Guy – Josh Hartnett! (celebs.gather.com)
- Amanda Seyfried to Play Cosette in LES MISERABLES (geektyrant.com)
- Trailer Tracker: Amanda Seyfried goes the full Neeson in Gone (arts.nationalpost.com)
- “Amanda Seyfried and Catherine Hardwicke Talk Fairy Tales and Twilight at the Red Riding Hood Premiere” and related posts (popsugar.com)
- A gorgeous retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, using silhouettes and plenty of horror [Video] (io9.com)
- Mirror Mirror – review (guardian.co.uk)
- Evan Rachel Wood to Reunite with THIRTEEN Director Catherine Hardwicke for Erotic L.A. Thriller PLUSH (collider.com)
- Fairy Tales Return to Their Horror Roots (thinkprogress.org)
- 5 Stars Do Their Best Red Riding Hood Impersonations (bellasugar.com)
- Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (benpeek.livejournal.com)
- Fairy Tales and Miscellaneous (behance.net)
- Amanda Seyfried Tends to Her Boys Ahead of Red Riding Hood’s Opening Weekend (popsugar.com)
- ‘Twilight’ Scripts ‘Sucked’ At First, Director Reveals (mtv.com)
- The Red Riding Hood: Amanda Seyfried (amog.com)