TUCKER & DALE VS. EVIL
Directed by Eli Craig
Written by Eli Craig and Morgan Jurgenson
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil is a funny, gory horror-comedy that, while uneven at times, is a hilarious tribute to all those redneck hillbilly horror films that have come our way over the years. Films like Wrong Turn, Friday the 13th, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and every other horror film whose main setting has been the backwoods is paid homage to in this uproarious comedy of errors and misunderstandings.
When Tucker (Alan Tudyk) and Dale (Tyler Labine) rescue college kid Allison (Katrina Bowden) from drowning, they set off a series of events between the two of them and Allison’s preppy friends that is nothing short of insane. The preppies think Tucker and Dale want to torture and kill Allison. Led by Chad (there’s always a preppy named Chad) the popped-collar frat boy leader, they mount an attack against the two hillbillies. Tucker and Dale think that the preppies are off their medication and can’t understand why they will not stop killing themselves right there at their ‘vacation’ home in the beautiful Virginia woods. Hell, one college kid just dives right into a working wood chipper and another one impales himself on a homemade spear. What are two totally misunderstood hillbillies to do?
The characterization of the two good ole boys balances a thin line between genius and stereotypical. In other words Tucker and Dale are like every other redneck hillbilly horror film character; dumb as hell and oblivious to the happenings of the outside world. However, Tudyk and Labine play their parts so well you’d think they went to backwoods redneck hillbilly training camp. Tucker is the smarter of the two and therefore the straight man, of sorts, to Dale and his bumbling antics.
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil works not only as a parody of redneck hillbilly horror films, but also as a love letter to the genre. It’s a smartly written horror-comedy that laughs with the genre instead of at it. You’ll find yourself giggling at the funny parts and laughing out loud at the gory stuff. Hell, Tucker and Dale vs. Evil is so funny it might just make you slap your mama. That, my dear friends, is fucking funny.
A rough cut of the film was leaked which revealed various moments when lines are dubbed and when post-production effects are used.
- You Should Know Better than to Vacation in the Woods – An SML Epic Movie Review of “Tucker and Dale vs. Evil” (stuffmonsterslike.com)
- Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (afilmlog.wordpress.com)
- TBTS Reviews: Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil (thebrowntweedsociety.com)
- Justin does Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (mutantreviewers.wordpress.com)
- On Tucker and Dale versus Evil (bblurb.wordpress.com)
- Tucker & Dale vs. Evil (mrmovietimes.com)
- Non-Review Review: Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (them0vieblog.com)
- Tucker and Dale vs. Evil: This isn’t your dad’s Chainsaw Massacre (faceplantreview.wordpress.com)
- Tucker and Dale VS Judging Others (smoorns.wordpress.com)
- Cabin in the Woods (2012) (crimecrawlers.wordpress.com)
- ‘The Cabin in the Woods’ Review (screenrant.com)
Posted on 04/18/2012, in Comedy-Horror Films, Films Released in 2010, Movies and tagged Alan Tudyk, Chad, Dale, Eli Craig, Katrina Bowden, Tucker, Tucker Dale vs Evil, Tyler Labine. Bookmark the permalink. 17 Comments.