Written and directed by Christopher Smith
Triangle is a horror film disguised as a suspense film that wants to be a horror film. There are all the elements of a suspense film, but there’s enough blood and supernatural (psychological) activity to warrant calling it a horror movie. Viewing the DVD cover, I expected a movie that could be considered The Strangers at Sea. Instead I got an old Yogi Berra saying mashed up into “its deja vu all over again meets the Strangers on a boat.”
Melissa George is a single mother with an autistic child who is both a blessing and a bother to her. She loves him dearly, but she has no time to herself. She leaves him, presumably at school, to go sailing with friends. The boat is capsized during a storm and they take refuge on what appears to be an abandoned cruise ship. This is when the weird starts. If I were to tell you what happens, it would seem ridiculous. I can assure it’s not, although it may be guilty of the occasional plot hole. What I can tell you is that Triangle is an entertaining film that has you wondering in circles up to and including the very end. In fact, I believe it’s safe to say that Yogi Berra would have been very proud. It is indeed deja vu all over again.
The film makes many oblique references to The Shining. The number 237 crops up, which was the same number of the spooky hotel room Danny was forbidden to go into; there are also words written on a mirror, a ballroom and an axe.
- New Zealand Horror Film Short THE FRENCH DOORS (geektyrant.com)
- Made in Britain: Severance (2006) (moonwolves.wordpress.com)
- Joss Whedon Thinks Iron Man’s Triangle Is “Ass” (geektyrant.com)
- Cat People (1982) (horror-movie-a-day.blogspot.com)
- Yogi Berra (junojs100w.wordpress.com)
- What’s Killing You – Horror Film Infographic (geektyrant.com)
- Cinéma de Mode: Ember – A Fashion Horror Film (iheartberlin.de)
- How Long Would You Survive in a Horror Movie? (geektyrant.com)
- The Cabin in the Woods (2012) (horroraddicts.wordpress.com)
- Sheppard, Steinbrenner, (not) Berra [Yogi Berra Is Not Dead] (deadspin.com)
- Are You Ready for a FRANKENSTEIN Found-Footage Film? (geektyrant.com)
- Review: The Cabin in the Woods (2012) (feedmefilms.wordpress.com)
- A Lonely Place to Die (smallscreenreviews.com)
- Texas Frightmakers: Q&A with Producer Allen Reed (dreadcentral.com)
- Old Hollywood Book Reviews: Shock Value (journeysinclassicfilm.com)
Posted on 04/26/2012, in Movies and tagged Arts, Christopher Smith, Horror, Horror film, Lindsay Lohan, Martin Henderson, Melissa George, Movie, Southport Spit, Strangers, Thriller, Triangle (2009 film), Yogi Berra. Bookmark the permalink. 5 Comments.