Directed by Barbara Brancaccio and Joshua Zeman
Written by Joshua Zeman
When you think of the Boogeyman, what comes to mind for you? Is it a childhood image of a faceless being that sneaks into your bedroom at night and turns those clothes you threw in the corner into a living, breathing embodiment of evil? Maybe your boogeyman is Michael Myers with his unfinished Captain Kirk mask, his 1000 yard stare and that butcher knife. How about Freddy Krueger? Now there’s a boogeyman for you; a burned child molester with razor sharp knives for fingers.
For the families of Jennifer Schweiger, Holly Ann Hughes, Hank Gafforio, Tiahease Jackson and Alice Pereira the boogeyman may or may not be Andre Rand. When I say ‘may be’ I mean that there is enough circumstantial evidence to show that Rand is the abductor and possible killer of these children. When I say ‘may not be’ I mean that Rand isn’t about to open his mouth and proclaim his guilt. That’s where “Cropsey” comes in. “Cropsey” is a documentary about the crimes, the trial and the aftermath of the case against Andre Rand. Was Rand a child murderer? Was he a pawn in the game of a satanic cult that trafficked in children? “Cropsey” the documentary gives us the information but allows us to form our own opinions as to Rand and his alleged crimes. But I don’t see a documentary about a possible child abductor/child murderer; I see an opportunity to help the families of the victims to have closure. A detective is quoted as saying that when a child is murdered and their body is found that at least that family has a place to visit their body. However, when a child is kidnapped and they have no idea whether they are alive or dead the family will continue to believe that their child is alive until the evidence proves otherwise.
I don’t intend to rate “Cropsey”. Instead, let the drops of blood represent the missing children and the hope that their families will find closure one way or another.
Holly Ann Hughes-Missing since July 15, 1981. She was 7 years old at the time of her disappearance. Her body has not been recovered.
Hank Gafforio-Missing since June 9, 1984. 22 years old at the time of his disappearance, Hank had the mentality of a 15 year old. His body has not been recovered.
Tiahease Jackson-Missing since August 14, 1983. She was 10 years old at the time of her disappearance. Tiahease had a learning disability. Her body has never been recovered.
Alice Pereira-Missing since July 7, 1972. She was five years old at the time of her disappearance. Her body has never been recovered.
Jennifer Schweiger-Missing since July 9, 1987. Her body was found a month later. She had Down’s syndrome.
It is not for my benefit that I list these missing children. I didn’t come away from “Cropsey” as a critic; I came away as a concerned person who wants to help these families find closure. If you have any information regarding these children then please feel free to contact the numbers below. Thank you.
Richmond County District Attorney’s Office (718)-876-6300
Donna Cutugno, the Friends of Jennifer (718)-698-4053
*Note: The disappearances all occurred on Staten Island, New York
- See Dread Central’s Online Screening of American Maniacs With Trent Haaga, CM Downs, Dr. Gash (dreadcentral.com)
- Here’s Your Chance To See Cropsey on Constellation.tv for Free (dreadcentral.com)
- Dread Central’s Doctor Gash to Host Online Screening of Cropsey on Constellation.tv (dreadcentral.com)
- ‘Dead Files’ special looks at N.C. murder mystery (hamptonroads.com)
- Photo: Sculpture dedicated at Fort Monroe (hamptonroads.com)
- Body Found in Anchorage Identified as Missing Mo. Airman Clinton Reeves (fox4kc.com)
- Premiere Viewing Of Frederick Hart Documentary Film (prweb.com)
- Israel Blames Iran for Diplomat Attacks; Is War Next Step? (ibtimes.com)
- In NYC 14 kids went missing before Etan Patz went; 10 of them were black - (bonjupatten.com)
- Directors Joshua Zeman and Barbara Brancaccio to Host Cropsey Screening on Constellation.tv (dreadcentral.com)
- SAM begins Kurt Cobain film series; NWFF has ‘Cropsey’ (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Fellow Airman Arrested in Disappearance of Missing Missouri Airman (fox4kc.com)
- Doctor Gash Hosts Dread Central’s Screening of American Maniacs on Constellation TV (dreadcentral.com)
- Horror Short Stories | The Boogeyman (horrorstruck.net)
- Any Rand Parodies McSweeney’s (theamericanconservative.com)
- Rand Paul: End the TSA (economicpolicyjournal.com)
- Writer Trent Haaga, Director CM Downs and Cast to Attend Dread Central’s Online American Maniacs Screening (dreadcentral.com)
- Scary Movies (marciokenobi.wordpress.com)
- New Titles Entice Filmgoers (prweb.com)
- Latest Al Qaeda Boogeyman is CIA Agent (sgtreport.com)
Posted on 05/10/2012, in Movies and tagged Alice Pereira, Andre Rand, Cropsey, Freddy Krueger, Hank Gafforio, Holly Ann Hughes, Jennifer Schweiger, Michael Myers, Missing person, Tiahease Jackson, Tribeca Film Festival, United States. Bookmark the permalink. 8 Comments.