SCREAM 2-United States-1997
Directed by Wes Craven
Written by Kevin Williamson
Ninety-five percent of the time sequels are inferior to the original film that spawned them in the first place. They either go in a completely opposite direction to the first film; or else they completely rehash the plot of the first film with the same characters and a few new ones thrown in for good measure. Scream 2 is no exception to that rule. Neve Campbell returns as Sidney Prescott, the ‘final girl’ with what appears to be a magnet in her ass when it comes to killers in black robes and ghost faced masks. David Arquette reprises his role as dorky Dewey ‘My name is Dwight’ Riley, and Courteney Cox is once again opportunistic news reporter Gail Weathers. Change the setting to a college campus and begin the whole thing over again for a 100% brand new same old experience. Boring! I say boring! The entire Scream franchise has always revolved around whether or not art imitates life or vice versa. The trouble with that theory is that the audience has to buy into it. For the sake of argument, I for one do not. I believe that if someone is truly evil (or perhaps insane), then they’re going to commit murder anyway; and that it’s not going to matter whether they saw Jodie Foster playing a twelve-year-old hooker or Ghostface slicing and dicing bubble headed teenagers. Art imitates life, not the other way around. Scream 2 is just another tired unnecessary sequel spinning its wheels.
The cast was not informed of the identity of the killer until the last day of principal photography. Also, the cast did not receive the last ten pages of the shooting script until it was time to film the scenes contained therein. Furthermore, the last ten pages of the shooting script were printed on gray paper in order to deter illicit duplication of them. All cast members were required to sign confidentiality clauses as parts of their respective contracts that precluded them from discussing the outcome of the story and the killer’s identity.
Randy’s reference to fake nude pictures of Gale Weathers on the Internet was inspired by fake images of Courteney Cox that appeared on the worldwide web prior to production of Scream 2.
The rules for a horror-movie sequel as stated by Randy are: 1. the death total is always greater; and 2. the murder scenes are always much more elaborate, with more blood and gore. The third rule to surviving a sequel was cut from the movie, but appears in its trailer, “And number three, never, ever under any circumstance assume that the killer is dead.”
Robert Rodriguez directed scenes of “Stab,” the movie-within-a-movie of Scream 2. Rodriguez directed the Casey Becker scene and the Sidney and Billy scene.
- David Arquette And Courteney Cox Do Each Other Lunch (perezhilton.com)
- Neve Campbell Talks Revisiting Sidney Prescott in Scream 4 and Reuniting With Courteney and David (popsugar.com)
- Neve Campbell Hits the Beach in a Screaming Hot Bikini! (popsugar.com)
- Courteney Cox Reunites With Wes, Neve, and David For a Scream Shoot (popsugar.com)
- We All Scream 4 iScream (Scre4m Review) (iammediatron.wordpress.com)
- Video: Courteney Cox on Scream 4′s Most Intense Moment and Who Will Get Baby Fever on Cougar Town (popsugar.com)
- The Ghostface Killer Mask Is Spotted On The Set Of ‘Scream 4′ (pinkisthenewblog.com)
- Scream 4: Hayden Panettiere Claims Screenwriter Controvery is “Very Untrue”, Set Photos Reveal Woodsboro’s Obsession with Ghostface (slashfilm.com)
- Now Showing on Cable: “Scream 4″ (fogsmoviereviews.com)
- Boom! Reveals Rockin’ ‘Marceline and the Scream Queens’ #2 Covers (comicsalliance.com)
- Three New Images to Scream 4 (dreadcentral.com)
- Video: Wes Craven Talks Scream 4′s New Generation, Being an On-Set Prankster, and a Potential New Trilogy (popsugar.com)
- Sarah Michelle Gellar Is a Sunny Sometimes Scream Queen (popsugar.com)
- David Arquette: Trying To Win Courteney Cox Back?? (perezhilton.com)
- Lani Hay Hosts First After Party of WHCD Weekend (distriction.com)
- Scream (jmountswritteninblood.com)
- ‘Scream 4′ Has A ‘Perfect Setup,’ Hayden Panettiere Says (mtv.com)
- Courteney Cox Is Gale Force With Mini-Dewey Adam Brody For Scream 4 (popsugar.com)
- 2NE1 reveals Teaser for “Scream” PV (oneasiaa.com)
- Gartner’s Product Support Maturity Scale Version 2 has arrived! (blogs.gartner.com)
Posted on 05/27/2012, in Films in the Scream series, Films released in 1997, Movies, Sequels, Slasher Films, Wes Craven films and tagged Courteney Cox, David Arquette, Dewey, Jamie Kennedy, List of Scream characters, Neve Campbell, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Scream, Scream 2, Sidney Prescott, Wes Craven. Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.