THE CRAZIES (2010)
Directed by Breck Eisner
There’s a saying that goes ‘expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised.’ I believe that phrase would go a long way in describing my experience with “The Crazies”; a motion picture that I continued to put off even after hearing a bit of positive buzz about it. To be honest I just never was one of those guys that enjoy the type of movie where the government lets a virus loose on an unsuspecting town and then screws the entire population in the poop chute. I have to hand it to “The Crazies” though; the individual human element of the film is held together by a couple of strong performances by Timothy Olyphant and Radha Mitchell. Olyphant is one of those actors that have the looks and the chops, but he’s danced on the razor’s edge of stardom for far too long. The same can be said of Mitchell to a lesser degree. Both of them deserve that big chance and “The Crazies” comes real close to being that opportunity.
It’s a bright sunny day in Ogden Marsh. There’s a baseball game being played between the rival high school teams and the whole town is there to cheer them on. Life is as it should be in a small town: peaceful, serene. All it takes is for one guy with a shotgun to walk out onto the ball field. After that you can watch a man burn down his house with his wife and son inside. Maybe you would enjoy seeing a man shove a pitchfork into helpless people; or a trio of rednecks shooting the locals as if they were deer. It’s all fun and games in the small town of Ogden Marsh. What’s even more fun about it is that it’s all government controlled and sanctioned. Yes, America it is your tax dollars at work. I guess it sure is a damn good thing it’s only a movie.
It should come as no surprise that “The Crazies” is a remake. The original film was directed by George A, Romero. George is that guy that brought us “Night of the Living Dead” and all those other films where the dead munch on the flesh of the living. He’s even a producer on the remake of “The Crazies.” Having never seen the original I can’t compare the two films. I do however get the feeling that Mr. Romero would be proud.
If you read the graffiti on the jail cell wall, one appears to say “Romero”.
The film opens with the song “We’ll Meet Again,” as performed by Johnny Cash. The song is from the same album that provided “The Man Comes Around,” which opened another remake of a George A. Romero film, Dawn of the Dead. The album is “American IV“, the last full album Cash released before his death. “The Man Comes Around” and “We’ll Meet Again” are the opening and closing tracks, respectively.
Some of the filming was done in Lenox, Iowa. Lenox is the opposing team in the baseball scene early in the film.
- Daily Dialogue – June 25, 2012 (gointothestory.blcklst.com)
- George A. Romero and Simon Pegg Taking Part in the Doc of the Dead (dreadcentral.com)
- Two-Minute Tune-Up 6.23.12 My Crazy is Better Than Your Crazy (pamboyd.wordpress.com)
- Buy Four Movie Online (iuabpahm.typepad.com)
- Where To Download I’m Crazy About Iris Blond online (aauoraoi.typepad.com)
- Watch In the Dead of Night Film (iaosobub.typepad.com)
- Breck Eisner Talks New ‘Flash Gordon’ Movie (cinematical.com)
- Remember Night of the Living Dead? (mymajicdc.com)
- Maine Communities Prepare For Zombie Apocalypse With Training Session! (perezhilton.com)
- Goriest Movies of All Time (mrmovietimes.com)
- Surrogates Full Movie High Quality (iqeoaib.typepad.com)
- The Charismatic Cool of Timothy Olyphant (gloriabrame.typepad.com)
- The High Life Dvd Download (uumffnqm.typepad.com)
- Its hard to ignore the Olyphants in the room. (thenewyorkflash.com)
- A Perfect Getaway Movie Summary (pcfodony.typepad.com)
- Justified: The Complete First Season Movie Dvd (zopuuizi.typepad.com)
- Seven of the Deadliest Zombie Hordes (dreadcentral.com)
- Gerard Butler on a Manhunt for Breck Eisner (dreadcentral.com)
- Download The Movie I Am Number Four online (uzburca.typepad.com)
- Gerard Butler May Star in Action-Thriller, MANHUNT (collider.com)
- The Five C’s of Cinematography: Motion Picture Filming Techniques read online (aacynun.typepad.com)
- Air: The Motion Picture Movie Dvd (reseyicu.typepad.com)
- Little Rose Movie Dvd (hcmduyy.typepad.com)
- Downloadable The Machinist Movie (oiymycbb.typepad.com)
- Siisi Pops Up! (laf.ee)
- Non Compos Mentis Movie (fydisuh.typepad.com)
- Land of the Dead Movie Downloads (rquqeobm.typepad.com)
- Deadtime Stories 2 Downloads (utiyudu.typepad.com)
- Download Bruiser Film (oearlaao.typepad.com)
- The Zombification Family Tree: Legacy of the Living Dead (Column) (popmatters.com)
- Day of the Dead Movie Summary (akaamoc.typepad.com)
- Simon Pegg: George Romero deserves sainthood for creating zombies (herocomplex.latimes.com)
- Simon Pegg doesn’t like 3D (bigpondnews.com)
- [NEW COLUMN] Here & Then & Now: 1979 (sundancenow.com)
- Buy Night of the Living Dead (The Nightmares Series, Vol. 3) Movie Online (nbeadmr.typepad.com)
Posted on 06/25/2012, in Films Released in 2010, Movies, Remakes and tagged Crazies, Film, George, George A. Romero, George Romero, Johnny Cash, Man Comes Around, Night of the Living Dead, Radha Mitchell, Ray Wright, Romero, Scott Kosar, Timothy Olyphant. Bookmark the permalink. 10 Comments.