Directed by Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman
Story by Chad Feehan
Screenplay by Christopher Landon
Let me clear one thing up for everyone from the start; I did not hate Paranormal Activity 3 nor did I think it sucked in any way. But, I know that I am in the minority when it comes to the film so let’s move on. Apparently the filmmakers thought differently than I because they have set the 4th film in the series 5 years after the events of Paranormal Activity 2. The setting is now a house in Nevada in 2011 and strange things begin to occur after the family takes in a strange little boy from across the street after his mother is taken to the hospital via ambulance. When I say strange I mean this is the kind of kid who appears out of nowhere to scare the living shit out of you and who talks to unseen beings named Toby. I’m sure you remember Toby from the 3rd film so I don’t have to tell you what he is.
The film centers around the family’s teenage daughter Alex (Kathryn Newton, Bad Teacher) and her sort of somewhat boyfriend, Ben (Matt Shively, Barrio Tales) as Alex experiences strange phenomenon throughout the house and Ben helps her set up laptops that double as webcams to record the activity. Another neat trick involves night vision and the X-Box Kinect system. It made me wonder what the hell I was doing with a PlayStation 3.
But I digress. Paranormal Activity 4 is one of those movies that I don’t like to say a whole lot about because I don’t want to give too much away. I will say three main things about the film. One, the film does have some genuinely scary moments. Two, the film answers certain questions, but of course it sets up even more. Finally, the film marks the significant return of Katie Featherston to the series. That may not seem all that relevant to anyone else, but I’ve had the hots for her since the first Paranormal Activity. If that’s too much information then sue me.
So, is Paranormal Activity 4 good? I think so. Is it scary? For the most part, yes it is. Is it going to make a shitload of money? Seriously, what the hell do you think? Oh, and for those of you keeping tabs I rate the series in order of quality 1. Paranormal Activity 2; 2. Paranormal Activity; 3. Paranormal Activity 4 and 4. Paranormal Activity 3. Now shoo, go buy Halloween candy or sacrifice a virgin* or something.
NO TRIVIA AT THIS TIME
*Written in Blood does not in any way, shape or form condone the sacrificing of virgins or even non-virgins for that matter. Do not attempt this. If you do I do not know you.
- ‘Paranormal Activity 4′ Review: The Horror Franchise Finally Loses Its Way (slashfilm.com)
- ‘Paranormal Activity 4′ is eerie setup for another sequel (sacbee.com)
- ‘Paranormal Activity 4′ review: More of same (newsday.com)
- The paranormal bus stops here (sfluxe.com)
- A youthful energy creeps into ‘Paranormal Activity 4′ (seattletimes.com)
- Is ‘Paranormal Activity 4′ The Best Yet? Frightened Fans Weigh In (mtv.com)
- Friday Flicks: Does the World Really Need a Paranormal Activity 4? (newsfeed.time.com)
- ‘Paranormal Activity 4′: The Reviews Are In! (mtv.com)
- The Triumph Of ‘Paranormal Activity’ (forbes.com)
- ‘Paranormal Activity 4′ Star Katie Featherston Says She Filmed ‘Enough for Two or Three Movies’ (hollywood.com)