Did you ever know someone who was crazy? I’m not talking ‘run up and look under a nun’s habit and giggle’ crazy (although that might qualify); I’m talking a level of crazy in which anytime you are near this person you fear for your life because you have no idea what’s going on in that head of theirs and the scary part is neither do they.
Here are 9 songs about some crazy people. Why 9? Why not 10? Why not 11? Why not rub myself in peanut butter and call myself Betty?
It’s not so much the lyrics of Psycho Killer that warn us that we are inside the brain of a madman; it is David Byrne singing the song as if his shock treatment session went on a little too long. Byrne said he wrote the song (with help) by ‘imagining Alice Cooper singing a Randy Newman ballad.’
RIDERS ON THE STORM by THE DOORS (Jim Morrison, Ray Manzarek, Robby Krieger and John Densmore)
Is the entirety of Riders on the Storm about a psycho? Probably not; but that part about a ‘killer on the road’ whose ‘brain is squirming like a toad’ puts the storm just outside of crazy town.
WHERE THE WILD ROSES GROW by NICK CAVE AND KYLIE MINOGUE (NIck Cave)
One of the perks of picking out songs for these little lists of mine is finding something that I’ve never heard before; for instance this gem by Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue from Cave’s Murder Ballads. Boy meets girl, boy loves girls, boy kills girl to preserve her beauty. Nope, nothing crazy here.
EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE by THE POLICE (Sting)
Every Breath You Take is the un-official theme song for Stalking Awareness Month. If you thinks it’s a sweet little love song then you’re the one who’s crazy. Even Sting said he didn’t realize how sinister it was and that people have misinterpreted it.
He loved her, he killed her, he buried her six feet underground and still hears her complain. I think the serial killer Edmund Kemper may have been a ghost writer on this tune. After murdering his mother and attempting (unsuccessfully) to stuff her larynx down the garbage disposal, Kemper said that even in death the woman wouldn’t stop bitching at him.
EXCITABLE BOY by WARREN ZEVON
It’s my wife I have to thank for reminding me of this Zevon song about a young man who finds creative things to do with little Susie, her bones, his Sunday best suit and an infamous pot roast. The fact that I’m a major Warren Zevon fan makes me ashamed that I forgot it.
- Spellbound – Alfred Hitchcock (mrmovietimes.com)
- TV Review – Bates Motel – Season 1 (johnreviewsmovies.wordpress.com)
- Retrospective: Warren Zevon (1947 – 2003) (timbrosnan.wordpress.com)
- Riders On The Storm (talonsrockband.wordpress.com)
- Riders on the Storm – The Doors (dattmanskin.wordpress.com)
- Song of the Week 44: Riders on the Storm / Hyacinth House – The Doors (songoftheweekblog.wordpress.com)
- Talking Heads ft Arthur Russell – Psycho Killer (dazeddigital.com)
- Doors Keyboardist Ray Manzarek (1939-2013) Tells the Story of the Classic Song, ‘Riders on the Storm’ (openculture.com)
- Riders of the Storm (castlemainejazzjammers.com)
- Ray Manzarek, RIP (webnerhouse.com)