WILL GODZILLA 2014 TAKE THE BAD TASTE OF G.I.N.O. OUT OF OUR MOUTHS?
So, I bet all you non-Godzilla fans are shaking your heads and saying, “Who or what in the blue hell is G.I.N.O.?” Well, I am about to enlighten you. G.I.N.O. is an acronym for Godzilla In Name Only and it refers to the honking piece of lizard feces that was crapped all over movie-goers in 1998 with the Roland Emmerich/Dean Devlin shit-fest Godzilla, starring none other than Mr. Ferris Bueller himself, Matthew Broderick. To say that there are a lot of blind Godzilla fans walking around after 1998 would probably not be an untrue statement since a lot of them burned out their eyes with hot pokers after seeing a creature that amounted to nothing more than a giant iguana running all over New York like the world’s biggest pussy. I mean come on, it had babies? After 1998, it seemed like there was no hope for fans of the Big G to see a decent and respectable interpretation of him outside of Toho Studios.
Enter Gareth Edwards. Until now, Edwards has been the director of a TV movie (End Day), two TV series documentaries (Perfect Disaster and Heroes and Villains) and a short film (Factory Farmed). Oh, I almost forgot about a little film called Monsters. It’s a sure bet that Edwards little film about a journalist escorting an American tourist through a Mexico filled with alien behemoths is the one that got him the directing job on the upcoming Godzilla. Maybe it’s also the fact that Edwards seems to have a respect for the beast and his fans that Emmerich and Devlin were sorely lacking.
Anyway, I’m making a short story long. I’ve included for your viewing pleasure a couple of teaser posters as well as a bit of a teasing head shot from the new film, which is scheduled to be released on May 16, 2014. The film will be directed by Gareth Edwards from a screenplay written by Max Borenstein, Dave Callaham and Frank Darabont from a story by David Goyer. Godzilla will star Aaron Taylor Johnson (Kick Ass), Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) and Elizabeth Olsen (Martha Marcy May Marlene). I’ve also included a little clip from Godzilla: Final Wars that features the best thing that could have ever happened to G.I.N.O., or Zilla, as he is referred to in the clip.
Sign up for e-mail updates at Godzilla Encounter
What would this article be without a little TRIVIA?
A surprise teaser trailer and poster for the film were revealed at Comic-Con 2012.
- Everything Wrong With ‘Godzilla’ (1998) In 7 Minutes Or Less (laughingsquid.com)
- ‘Godzilla’ Ready to Roar at Comic-Con as Legendary Promotes Its Next Creature Feature (horrorboom.com)
- Comic Book Review – Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #1 (lukeowritesstuff.wordpress.com)
- Today’s Comic> Godzilla: Rulers Of Earth #1 (bwmedia.wordpress.com)
- ‘Godzilla’ Viral Marketing Begins: New Website, Set Video & Images (screenrant.com)
- New ‘Godzilla’ Poster and Concept Art (slashfilm.com)
- Comic-Con Posters for GODZILLA and AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. (collider.com)
- Awesome New GODZILLA Poster Teases The Size Of The Massive Monster (comicbookmovie.com)
- AWESOME NEW POSTER SHOWS OFF A MONSTROUS GODZILLA; FIRST LOOK AT THE BEAST! (Rhino’s Horror)
- I Am So Happy That Godzilla Will Actually Look Like Godzilla In The New Godzilla Movie (Crustula)
Posted on 07/18/2013, in WILL GODZILLA 2014 TAKE THE BAD TASTE OF G.I.N.O. OUT OF OUR MOUTHS? and tagged BryanCranston, David Callaham, DAVID GOYER, Edwards, Elizabeth Olsen, Gareth Edwards, Godzilla, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Matthew Broderick, Max Borenstein, Scoot McNairy, Toho. Bookmark the permalink. 16 Comments.