BEN AFFLECK AS BATMAN; I CHOOSE TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND
By now I am sure that all you film loving, comic book reading, superhero movie geeks have discovered that when the sequel to the Zack Snyder-directed Man of Steel hits theaters in 2015 that the part of the Dark Knight, the Caped Crusader; you know, Batman; will be played by none other than Ben Affleck. In fact, I know that a lot of you know this from all the venomous comments made toward Affleck, Snyder and anyone else involved in this casting decision. In Biblical times if something truly horrendous happened a person would tear their clothes and throw dirt on themselves as an outward demonstration of their anguish. Well, thank God we have Yahoo!, Facebook and other forms of social media in which to vent or else there would be a lot of dirty naked people walking around right now. As for myself; I choose to keep an open mind and I will tell you why. Let’s list.
1. People say Affleck is a horrible actor.
I disagree with this. Sure, Affleck has made some crappy movies (Gigli, Daredevil) and he doesn’t have the range of a Daniel Day Lewis; but I’ve also seen the man act his ass off in Chasing Amy; and in reviews for his Academy Award-winning film Argo I never read any complaints from critics about his acting. Truth is known he’s really not that bad.
2. Don’t you know? He ruined Daredevil.
Are you sure about that? Are you sure it wasn’t a crappy screenplay and direction from Mark Steven Johnson that ruined Daredevil; not to mention Colin Farrell as Bullseye in one of the worst interpretations of a comic book villain that I’ve ever seen in my life. Johnson also directed Ghost Rider; that one really swept the Oscars that year. Someone truly needs to create a Sarcasm font.
Okay, so it’s not an incredibly long, detailed list. I’m sure I’m not going to convince anyone to change their mind and jump on the Affleck bandwagon. I’m not even trying to do that. All I am saying is that I intend to keep an open mind about it all. I’m going to wait until I see the movie before I pass judgment. I believe that Ben Affleck deserves that courtesy. Thank you.
One more thing: people said the same thing when Michael Keaton was cast as Batman by Tim Burton and he surprised the hell out of a lot of people. Let’s hope that Ben Affleck falls into the Keaton and Christian Bale category and not the Val Kilmer and George Clooney camp. Nipples? Really?
- Batman Ben Affleck (starpittsburgh.cbslocal.com)
- Ben Affleck Will Play Batman in “Man of Steel” Sequel (blacksportsonline.com)
- Ben Affleck as the new Batman (benjaminingber.com)
- Ben Affleck to Play Batman in Man of Steel Sequel (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- Ben Affleck is the next Batman (theverge.com)
- ‘This is a genius new way to take it’: Ben Affleck cast as Batman in ‘Man of Steel’ sequel sparks fan jeers and Hollywood cheers (nydailynews.com)
- Why Ben Affleck as Batman in Superman vs. Batman is not such a bad thing (metro.co.uk)
- Batman Backlash: Ben Affleck Has Nothing on Michael Keaton (variety.com)
- Childhood Is Officially Dead, Ben Affleck Is Batman (wwtdd.com)
- Ben Affleck’s Feelings a Little Hurt Over Batman Outrage (thenothingtonpost.com)