YOU’RE NEXT-United States-94 Mins. 2011
Directed by Adam Wingard
Written by Simon Barrett
You’re Next is the type of movie where you can only go so far in describing the plot before stepping into the icy waters of Spoiler Lake. I went into the theater with no expectations and walked out of the theater feeling pleasantly surprised. The film falls into the ‘home invasion’ genre of films like David Moreau and Xavier Palud’s Ils and its American remake The Strangers. Director Adam Wingard and writer Simon Barrett throws enough twists into You’re Next to keep it interesting; and not enough to where the audience begins to lose interest. There are shades of dark humor thrown in for good measure to lighten the mood of the film and gives us a chance to breathe.
It’s the occasion of the wedding anniversary of Paul (Rob Moran, There’s Something About Mary and Me, Myself and Irene) and Aubrey (Barbara Crampton, Re-Animator, From Beyond) and they celebrate by having a get- together with their sons Felix (Nicholas Tucci, Choose, Undocumented), Drake (Joe Swanberg, V/H/S, LOL) and Crispian (AJ Bowen, The House of the Devil, A Horrible Way to Die) and their wives and girlfriends Zee (Wendy Glenn, 11-11-11, Sister Said), Kelly (Sarah Myers) and Erin (Sharni Vinson, Bait). Director Ti West (The Innkeepers) also makes an appearance as the boyfriend of daughter Aimee (Amy Seimetz, Wristcutters: A Love Story). We hear the typical sounds of sibling rivalry between Drake and Crispian and what family would be complete without an argument or two? Then again, what party would be complete without someone to crash it; this time in the form of Lamb Mask, Fox Mask and Wolf Mask? They even brought their own party favors; a crossbow and a machete. One by one the family is picked off and we wonder why? I began to form reasons in my mind as to why the killers were doing this and at the end I came pretty close to being right. What was fun about You’re Next is that a member of the dinner party knows how to take care of themselves in a fight and it’s the last person you would expect. Wait, I can feel the water getting colder; the ice is going to break and soon I will drown in Spoiler Lake; so let me shut up lest I give it away.
I was thinking that You’re Next may have been the first film to get a 5-blood drop rating since I implemented the new system; but alas, no. As good it is, there are still moments where I questioned the motives of the characters. You’re Next is not a masterpiece and it may not even be a great film; time will tell. It’s what you could call a great very good film. That’s what I’m going to call it.
- The Makers Of “You’re Next” On How To Make A Modern Independent Horror Movie (fastcocreate.com)
- Watch Youre Next Full Movie Putlocker Megavideo Streaming (yourenextputlockerstream2013.wordpress.com)
- ‘You’re Next’ (2013) Review (killerkalyn.com)
- Home-invasion thriller in ‘Next’ (arabtimesonline.com)
- Film Review: You’re Next (dir by Adam Wingard) (unobtainium13.com)
- Download VHS 2 Movie | Download & Watch V/H/S/2 Online For Free (watchfullmovieonlinefreestreaminganddownl.wordpress.com)
- Watch Youre Next Full Movie HD (yourenexthd.wordpress.com)
- G/T/F/O: V/H/S/2 Is Unwatchable From Start to Finish (observer.com)
- Capone dons his lamb’s head mask and enters the room with YOU’RE NEXT director Adam Wingard (aintitcool.com)
- ‘You’re Next,’ a horror thriller to enjoy (miamiherald.com)
Posted on 08/25/2013, in Movies, You're Next and tagged A. J. Bowen, Adam Wingard, Amy Seimetz, Barbara Crampton, Joe Swanberg, Sharni Vinson, Simon Barrett, United States, Wendy Glenn, You're Next. Bookmark the permalink. 8 Comments.