SCREAM QUEEN OF THE MONTH-SEPTEMBER 2013-ELVIRA, MISTRESS OF THE DARK
She began life as Cassandra Peterson on September 17, 1951 in Manhattan, Kansas. After taking the advice of Elvis Presley she traveled to Europe where she began a career as a singer and an actress and even had a role in Federico Fellini‘s Fellini’s Roma (originally Roma). She even fronted her own Italian rock band.
She returned to America and toured the country as star of her musical comedy show “Mama’s Boy’s. Settling in Hollywood, she spent four and a half years as a part of L.A.’s foremost improvisational group, The Groundlings. In 1981 she auditioned for the role of a horror hostess for a local Los Angeles TV station. Elvira, Mistress of the Dark was born and the rest, as they say, is Scream Queen History.
A comment from a fellow blogger reminded me that I have been long overdue in featuring Elvira as Scream Queen of the Month. Allow me to remedy that; on the same month as her birth allow me to introduce to you the Scream Queen of the Month for September, 2013: ELVIRA, MISTRESS OF THE DARK!!
ELVIRA, MISTRESS OF TRIVIA
Big fan of Vincent Price, Roger Corman and Edward D. Wood Jr..
#1 of Sci-Fi’s Sexiest B-Queens, by Femme Fatales magazine. 
Pentagon named a Stealth computer system “Elvira” inspired by her.
Was scalded by boiling water when she was five years old. Underwent seventeen skin grafting operations over the course of her childhood to repair the scar tissue. Now covers some of her remaining scars (around neck and shoulders) with make-up or clothing.
Maila Nurmi, the original Vampira, unsuccessfully tried to sue Cassandra Peterson for stealing her act.
Inducted into the Horror Host Hall of Fame in 2012, as her character Elvira, Mistress of the Dark.
Although she has appeared in nude layouts, she has never appeared nude as the Elvira character.
ELVIRA, MISTRESS OF THE QUOTE
“At least I get my little black dress cleaned once in a while.” (In 1998, reacting to being told that Monica Lewinsky liked to compare herself to Elvira)
”I was your typical struggling actress. I went to every audition, took a million acting, dancing and singing lessons, and spent years wondering where my next meal was coming from.”
- Elvira Mistress of The Dark Calendar 1993 (ephemera.typepad.com)
- Fangasm (scifitalk.com)
- What’s Persona in a Horror Genre Hostess? Well, Everything, Ya Know? (inyourclosetseries.wordpress.com)
- Elvira Returns to Knott’s Scary Farm Haunt for 2013; Mazes and Attractions Announced! (dreadcentral.com)
- Fangasm: the new reality TV show that says “Don’t ever play Magic: The Gathering if you ever want to get laid.” (comicsbeat.com)
- EXCLUSIVE: Aussie Scream Queen Sharni Vinson helps us survive the slaughter (rogersmovienation.com)
- New Reality Series ‘Fangasm’ to Premiere Tuesday, September 24 on Syfy (tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com)
- Fanboy Expo bringing diverse mix of cult stars to Tampa (TBO.com)
- Cassandra Peterson Talks Vampire Cruise, Elvira Fandom, And Upcoming Memoir (snolasco.com)
- Scream Queen of the Month-august 2013-teri Mcminn (jmountswritteninblood.com)
Posted on 08/29/2013, in Scream Queen of the Month and tagged Cassandra Peterson, Elvira, Elvira Mistress of the Dark, Elvis Presley, Federico Fellini, Los Angeles, Roma, Scream queen. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.