Category Archives: Finnish Horror Films
Directed by Timo Vuorensola
Original story by Johanna Sinisalo
Original concept by Jarmo Puskala
Screenplay by Michael Kalesniko
Alright, let me see if I can get this shit straight before I drift off into a beer-induced sleep. The Nazis have been living on the dark side of the moon since 1945. The very first black man (a model, of all things) to ever set foot on the moon is captured by those same Nazis and is then turned white and German by some Joseph Mengele want-to-be. He is then forced by a guy named Klaus (Götz Otto) to travel back to Earth with him and his fräulein Renate Richter (Julia Dietze) to meet the President (a woman who resembles a certain Governor from Alaska a bit too much) and seemingly set off an invasion by those same Nazis that will allow Herr Adler to take over the earth and begin a fourth Reich. Instead of an initial invasion, they are in turn utilized by the somewhat ball busting and quite horny campaign manager for the President and become part of a tactic to aid in said President’s re-election. The Nazi bastards then screw over the campaign manager, launch a full scale invasion of earth and are thwarted by the black man and the fräulein who has since changed her Nazi ways and taken a shine to the black man even though he is now white and German. Oh, so that’s what the hell I just watched. No wonder I spent the entire movie saying ‘What the f–k am I watching’ under my breath.
Iron Sky is one of the most ridiculously entertaining films I have seen in quite some time. It is a perfect example of a film that is so illogical and yet works in ways that I seriously doubt the filmmakers could have ever imagined. It’s the kind of film that you can say is ‘f–king stupid’ and ‘f–king genius’ in the same breath and both answers would be correct. But the thing that gets me about this film is why in the hell is it not available in the United States? I had to download a copy from the Pirate Bay. Come on, people; we spend so much time bitching and moaning about remakes and re-boots. A film like this is just what we need to quell that griping and give us something to talk about. Isn’t that what cinema needs; something to talk about?
Nazi spaceships are named after operas in Wagner’s Der Ring des Nibelungen cycle. “Rheingold”, “Walkure”, “Siegfried” and “Götterdämmerung”.
The German customs office would not allow the film-makers to bring any Nazi costumes and regalia into Germany, but fortunately the makers of Inglourious Basterds helped director Vuorensola by revealing how they had circumvented the same problem.
When Renate Richter takes off the helmet after leaving the escape pod, it can be seen to bear the number “SS-1138″, a nod to George Lucas.
A tribute to Pink Floyd is made by using synthesizer effects for barely a few seconds from the band’s track “On the Run” from their album Dark Side of the Moon (which is where the Nazis made base). The music can be heard just after the scene where the Earth fleet departs for the moon.
During the Nazi’s invasion on New York City, three World Trade Center buildings are visible.
The time stamp on the news report of the Invasion of New York City is 9:11 PM.
- Iron Sky – review (guardian.co.uk)
- Nazis Attack from Outer Space in Iron Sky (dreadcentral.com)
- IRON SKY Launches a New Trailer (collider.com)
- Win Double Passes To See Iron Sky! (gizmodo.com.au)
- Review: Iron Sky (2012) (thefilmoracle.wordpress.com)
- What’s the fuss over Iron Sky? (bbc.co.uk)
- Jarv’s Schlock Vault Special: Iron Sky (moonwolves.wordpress.com)
- A really bad film that lost it’s funny bone to political satire; Iron Sky (marcwinger.com)
- IRON SKY – U.S. Trailer for the Moon Nazi Invasion Film (geektyrant.com)
- San Diego Comic-Con 2012: The Iron Sky Babe Army Awaits! (dreadcentral.com)
- Review: Iron Sky (pete975.wordpress.com)
- Moonnazi Daydream Read Our IRON SKY Blu-Ray Review (thepeoplesmovies.com)
- Film Reviews: Movie review: Iron Sky (15) (dailyrecord.co.uk)
- Marvel At Our Winning Iron Sky Limericks (gizmodo.com.au)
- Iron Sky (noframeof.wordpress.com)
- Fantastic Concept Art from the “Moon Nazi” Movie Iron Sky (io9.com)
- Forget Neil Armstrong, The Nazi’s Are Coming Enjoy The IRON SKY Playlist! (thepeoplesmovies.com)
- Off-Topic – Re: Iron Sky (disclose.tv)