Directed by Marcus Dunstan
Written by Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan
Based on characters created by Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan
When last we saw Arkin (Josh Stewart, The Dark Knight Rises, The Haunting of Molly Hartley) he was being stuffed into a trunk by the titular serial killer in The Collector (2009). Now at the beginning of The Collection, Arkin escapes the Collector only to find himself forced back into the fray by a group of mercenaries lead by Lucello (Lee Tergesen, Monster, No One Lives), the right hand man of Mr. Peters (Christopher McDonald, Thelma & Louise, Requiem for a Dream) whose daughter, Elena (Emma Fitzpatrick, The Social Network, In Time) has become the Collector’s latest captive. As the saying goes, it’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Hurt they do, as the Collector leads them all through a merry maze of traps that would make Jigsaw proud; which is no big surprise considering that writer-director Marcus Dunstan (The Collector) and writer Patrick Melton were the writing team for Saw IV, V and VI). There’s even a scene with a wheat thresher that rivals the cable scene in Ghost Ship for coolest opening kill in a horror film.
The Collection is well-acted, well-written and well-directed. It’s gory enough to keep it interesting, which is always a plus. The minus to the film is that I felt no emotional attachment to the characters in the film. I didn’t care whether they lived or died. The only connection I felt was in wondering what horrendous way they would meet their demise. Most of the time as I watched I kept thinking that the last 60 minutes felt like a survival-horror video game. I’m going to go through this door and find this; I’m going to turn this corner and find that; if I can get to that trunk I’m going to get an extra life or some other sort of power-up to keep me going. The trouble is two-fold; I’ve felt more emotionally attached to the characters I’ve played as in video games than I did the characters in The Collection. The other trouble is that like those characters I am always getting killed. Oh well, there’s always the reset button. It’s too bad The Collection doesn’t have that option. Oh wait, it does; it’s called the stop button.
The “Hotel Argento” where the Collector has his victims is most likely a nod to the cult Italian horror director Dario Argento.
- New Comic Book Introduced on The Collectors Show (prweb.com)
- Coupons, Stamps and other Collecting Hobbies (coupons.answers.com)
- Get Ready for The Dark Knight Rises (wholesalehalloweencostumes.com)
- School girl Sophii Negus is Taylor Wimpey’s future star (taylorwimpey.co.uk)
- Moving up at Dunstan Park (taylorwimpey.co.uk)
- The Collection Movie Review (shockya.com)
- 36 Days ‘Til Halloween – The Collector (revpatrikios.wordpress.com)
- The Collection (2012) (newmoviescollection.wordpress.com)
- #402 – The Collector (2009) (jennyshouseofhorrors.wordpress.com)
- SAW Writers to Take on THE STUFF OF LEGEND for Disney! (aintitcool.com)
Directed by John Gulager
If you enter into watching “Feast” with lowered expectations, then you’re not going to be disappointed. Think John Carpenter‘s “Assault on Precinct 13“; but set in a hick bar with douchebags, barflys and dumb-asses surrounded by bloodthirsty creatures that are as horny as they are hungry (they hump each other on the hood of a car and out pops baby monster). They’ve got big teeth and big Johnson’s and no one has any idea where they came from. As I re-read that last sentence it seems confusing to me. The trailer for “Feast” tells us that they were created by the military as a secret weapon and that before they could be used on the enemy they had to be field tested…on us. Now, unless I missed something somewhere or wasn’t paying attention in class there is no mention of this anywhere in the movie. What I do know is that I was hoping for half the people in the bar to become monster food. Balthazar Getty (“Ladder 49″), leads the merry assortment of idiots that include Henry Rollins (“Wrong Turn 2: Dead End“), Clu Gulager (“Return of the Living Dead”) and Judah Friedlander (“The Wrestler”). Needless to say I wouldn’t trust these losers with cap guns, much less shotguns and Molotov cocktails. It comes as no surprise that the women of this film, Krista Allen and Navi Rawat in particular, are the ones that give these bumpkins any chance of seeing the light of day. Feast is directed in a fast paced, take no prisoners style that has become the thing to do these last few years or so. One thing I found amusing for a while is the way that the characters were introduced. A short bio with their name, occupation and life expectancy is flashed across the screen. It’s funny but it wears out its welcome quickly. Like I said at the beginning; don’t expect too much and you will not be disappointed. Dig any deeper and it all falls apart.
Clu Gulager, the actor playing Bartender, is the father of the film’s director, John Gulager. Also, Diane Ayala Goldner, who plays Harley Mama, is John’s wife.
The movie’s development was part of Matt Damon and Ben Affleck’s Project Greenlight 3 program.
The role of Hero was offered to Mark Wahlberg, but he turned it down. Josh Duhamel was also interested but forced to drop out for scheduling conflicts.
- Marian Feast Days (loldenver.wordpress.com)
- 84. Are you brave enough for the awesome korean BBQ feast? :P (funkyfantastic.wordpress.com)
- Romanian Feast: La Gratar (marthapfeil.com)
- ‘Pacific Rim’ And ‘Saw’ Writers To Adapt ‘God Of War’ Video Game (screencrave.com)
- Feast of Clare, Abbess at Assisi (emmanuelchatham.typepad.com)
- Coming in Sept: 23rd Annual Feast of Fields [Nobleton, ON] (local-lux.com)
- Feast Your Eyes On Russell Crowe As Noah (perezhilton.com)
- NEWS: @StreetFeastLDN welcomes Ben Spalding’s @_StrippedBack this Friday! (wilkes888.wordpress.com)
- Feast for friends (stjohnscathedral.ca)
- ‘Beast Feast’ makes menu as ‘Ferocious Friday’ event Zookeepers will show visitors how the animals dine during Beast Feast, from 6 to 8 p.m. today at the Buffalo Zoo. The program is held in conjunction with August’s First Niagara Ferocious Fridays, when (buffalonews.com)
PIRANHA 3DD-United States-2012
Directed by John Gulager
Characters by Peter Goldfinger and Josh Stolberg
Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the water park. John Gulager (“Feast”) picks up where Alexandre Aja left off with “Piranha 3DD”. This time the prehistoric fish wreak havoc on an adult water park on its very first day of business. The park comes complete with lifeguard strippers and special guest star David Hasselhoff.Here is a movie that takes the mutated monster fish sub-genre (if there ever was one to begin with) to a whole new level of ridiculous. “Piranha 3DD” is a movie that would make Herschel Gordon Lewis and Hugh Hefner equally proud. The film is a mash-up of blood and boobs, gore and gams and any other body part these ichthyologic beasties can put in their mouths. The piranha goes from anal to oral in this one and you just have to see it for yourself to believe it.
The plot behind the whole shebang is that the fanged flippers make their way from Lake Victoria to the water park to wreak their havoc. The explanation for how they get from one place to another is so half-ass that we pay no attention to it at all. But then again, that’s the idea. “Piranha 3DD isn’t about style and substance. Nobody is going to be collecting a statue on Oscar night for their efforts. But then again, I do believe they could be in the running for an AVN award for the best depiction of ‘blowjob by piranha.’ The little snapper gave head until it hurt. Ouch!
The first entry in the “Piranha” series to be entirely filmed in 3D.
- Go Behind-the-Scenes of Piranha 3DD … Again! (dreadcentral.com)
- Which Celebrities Didn’t Make the Cut in Piranha 3DD? (dreadcentral.com)
- Piranha 3DD Review Swims In (dreadcentral.com)
- More Piranha 3DD Clips Come Running to the Rescue (dreadcentral.com)
- Piranha 3DD chums with the cheese (lfpress.com)
- Ridiculous Horror Movies: 15 Films More Nuts Than ‘Piranha 3DD’ (PHOTOS) (news.moviefone.com)
- The bad guy of Piranha 3DD tells us about his aquatic swingers’ club [Video] (io9.com)
- Piranha 3DD Red Band Trailer Unleashed (dreadcentral.com)
- ‘Piranha 3DD’ delivers everything in its title (abclocal.go.com)
- Piranha 3DD: Project Greenlight 3′s winners collaborate again (realityblurred.com)