Directed by Ryan Schifrin
Story by Ryan Schifrin and James Morrison
Written by Ryan Schifrin
Last week there was a video article on Yahoo about a couple of people filming what they thought was a black bear foraging in the bushes. Then the bear stood up and it (allegedly) turned out to be a Sasquatch and the rest of the video is a lot of shaky camera work because the people are running scared and trying not to crap their drawers. I don’t know how true all this is but it got me to thinking; if Bigfoot, or Sasquatch as he is often referred to actually does exist then he has got one hell of a sense of humor. How else do you explain all the shaky videos where some yokel is filming some god-awful looking forest video for God knows what reason only to have a Bigfoot enter the scene and send them running like…like…well crap, I got nothing. But you know what I mean. I guarantee you that before that Sasquatch enters camera range he’s there with his buddies going, “Hey, guys, don’t look now but there’s another one. Ya’ll watch this. This is going to be good.”
Alright, I told you that little tale as a lead in to my review to the latest (it was released in 2006 and if there’s any newer ones after that I don’t know about them) Bigfoot movie extravaganza Abominable. It’s my way of saying that I didn’t take this movie seriously and neither should you. But, I will tell you this much; in the not so long list of Bigfoot movies it offers quite a few scares, is a lot of fun and may very well be the best of the bunch.
Preston Rogers (Matt McCoy, L.A. Confidential, The Hand That Rocks the Cradle) returns to the woods with his therapist as a form of rehab to help him get over the death of his wife in a climbing accident that left him a quadriplegic. It’s also a way to get a little rest and relaxation and it doesn’t hurt that soon after Preston moves in a group of hot young college babes led by Haley Joel (Crash Landing) and the perpetually naked Tiffany Shepis (Nightmare Man, Night of the Demons). But of course poor old Preston starts hearing things in the forest just outside his window and the next thing you know there’s a Bigfoot looking back at him. Now the rest of film deals with Preston trying to save the girls and get out of Dodge before Bigfoot chews them up and spits them out and makes Preston his personal bitch. Good times!!
As I mentioned earlier Abominable is just a whole lot of scary fun. There never seems to be a moment in the film where you felt that director Ryan Schifrin (son of composer Lalo Schifrin) is trying to say ‘Please, we are making a serious movie here,” The guy’s even smart enough to pepper the film with popular genre actors Jeffrey Combs (Re-animator), Lance Henriksen (Pumpkinhead) and Dee Wallace-Stone (The Howling). He’s also smart enough to actually let us get a look at the titular beast. Then again, there also lies the problem. The creature in Abominable is scary in medium shots or quick close-ups; but too much examination and we see that it looks like what would happen if Clint Howard had drunk sex with a Sasquatch and this was the result nine months later. I just hope Clint respected the lady Sasquatch in the morning. Anyway, I’m digressing here. Check out Abominable for some damn good scary Bigfoot and naked Tiffany Shepis fun.
Sheriff Halderman (Paul Gleason) is seen taking a sip from a mug with the quote “Don’t mess with the bull”. Paul Gleason’s famous character of Principal Richard Vernon from The Breakfast Club (and reprised in Not Another Teen Movie) has a line “Don’t mess with the bull, young man. You’ll get the horns” as he’s reprimanding John Bender (Judd Nelson).
Tiffany Shepis was pregnant when she acted in this film.
Rex Linn agreed to act in the movie under the condition that he got to play the monster in one scene.
The director’s father composed the musical score.
- Obama Nation #Mustwatch #lowkey #terrorist (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Abomination Bon-Bon (milleniology.wordpress.com)
- The Abomination and Obamanation of Same-sex Marriage (raptureimminent.wordpress.com)
- Abomination! (igbokwenuradio.wordpress.com)
- Sasquatch sighting downtown astonishes (trailstrialstrivialities.blogspot.com)
- Believing in the search for Sasquatch (tv.msnbc.com)
- Cryptozoology: The hunt for “hidden” animals (cbsnews.com)
- Morning Jolt: Anthropologist to use blimp to look for Bigfoot (galesburg.com)
- Morning Jolt: Anthropologist to use blimp to look for Bigfoot (pekintimes.com)
- AICN HORROR goes Sasquatchonian all over again with SHRIEK OF THE MUTILATED! THE CAPTURE OF BIGFOOT! DEAR GOD NO! ABOMINABLE! BIGFOOT 2012! & an advance look at SEXQUATCH and BIGFOOT COUNTY!!! (aintitcool.com)
Written and Directed by Rolfe Kanefsky
“Nightmare Man” is:
A. An effective albeit cliché-laden horror film about a woman (Blythe Metz-”Jacqueline Hyde”) who may or may not be terrorized or possessed by a demon from a fertility mask known to her as the nightmare man. The film leads you to believe that she’s crazy and her husband Bill (Luciano Szafir) is on his way to having her committed. But when she takes refuge in a house in the woods with Tiffany Shepis (“Abominable”, “Bonnie & Clyde vs. Dracula”), Hanna Putnam (“Feast II: Sloppy Seconds“, “Feast III: The Happy Finish”) and their boyfriends the body count begins to rise and now we’re not so sure about how crazy she really is.
B. One of the better reasons to have a little faith in the After Dark Horrorfest series of films. Sure there have been clunkers (“Crazy Eights”, Lake Dead“); but its films like “Nightmare Man”, “Borderland” and Xavier Gans “Frontier(s) that keeps hardcore horror fans coming back for more.
C. A thinly veiled reason for Tiffany Shepis to take all or most of her clothes off. She’s got a great body, but it’s a shame, really. She has more acting talent than the films she stars in give her credit for and I can’t wait to see her sink her teeth into something juicier. She may not ever be Meryl Streep, but if every actress were her the world would be a boring place.
D. All of the above.
Now, if your answer was D then give yourself a pat on the back. Seriously, pat yourself on the back. I can’t afford to give out prizes. Besides, if I did you’d just play with them for an hour, break them and then you’d have nothing to do for the rest of the day. Except read my blog, of course. It’s a vicious circle, isn’t it?
Hanna Putnam had to perform the fake orgasm scene for her audition.
Writer/director Rolfe Kanefsky wrote the script in seven days.
Richard Moll only worked one day on the film.
Tiffany Shepis and Hanna Putnam doubled each other for their running scenes.
- Crazy Eights (jmountswritteninblood.com)
- Every man’s nightmare: Castrati fish (oyiabrown.com)
- Wife of man convicted of killing neighbor over loud music says he cries, has nightmares (khou.com)
- One Man’s Dream Is Another Woman’s Nightmare (theredneckmommy.com)
- Every man’s nightmare: Castrati fish (fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com)
- Craigslist Ad Seeking Shelter Leads to Kidnap, Rape (blogs.lawyers.com)
- Nightmare Defense? Connecticut Man Claims To Have Sleepwalked Through Attempted Robbery (jonathanturley.org)
- Healthcare Nightmare: Uninsured Texas Man Claims Doctor Botched Hernia Surgery (huffingtonpost.com)
- Praying For Sleep (unduecreativity.wordpress.com)
- Sri Lanka: Gotabhaya’s Larger Than Life Role – OpEd (eurasiareview.com)
- One woman’s nightmare is another man’s dinner. (heifer12x12.com)
- HMAD Screening: There’s Nothing Out There! (horror-movie-a-day.blogspot.com)
- Op-Ed Contributor: Vulnerable to ‘Reform’ (nytimes.com)
- Just Thinking Number 23 (righttruth.typepad.com)
It’s time to take a trip to the naughty side of town with this months featured Scream Queen. Tiffany Shepis has been featured in the films Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV, Ted Bundy, Abominable, Nightmare Man, Bonnie and Clyde vs. Dracula, Night of the Demons (2009) and the list goes on and on. The tantalizing and titillating Miss Shepis was born on September 11, 1979 in New York City, New York and was at one time engaged to the late actor Corey Haim.
Tiffany quotes “I go after parts in horror films ’cause I have the most fun shooting them. I mean, wouldn’t you rather be covered in blood fighting some fucker with an axe than doing some lame romantic comedy?” and ”Sex and gore go hand in hand. I have no problem with nudity. You guys wanna see tits and ass with your blood and gore.”
So let us give a warm and hearty welcome to the naughty but nice and nice but naughty Scream Queen of the Month for the foolish month of April 2012-Tiffany Shepis!
- Indie Horror Babes Face Off in the Wrath of the Crows (dreadcentral.com)
- Indie Horror Month Video Interview Part Two: Barbara Crampton Talks Chopping Mall, Nudity and New Flicks You’re Next and The Lords of Salem (dreadcentral.com)
- Review: The Violent Kind (pete975.wordpress.com)