So, I bet all you non-Godzilla fans are shaking your heads and saying, “Who or what in the blue hell is G.I.N.O.?” Well, I am about to enlighten you. G.I.N.O. is an acronym for Godzilla In Name Only and it refers to the honking piece of lizard feces that was crapped all over movie-goers in 1998 with the Roland Emmerich/Dean Devlin shit-fest Godzilla, starring none other than Mr. Ferris Bueller himself, Matthew Broderick. To say that there are a lot of blind Godzilla fans walking around after 1998 would probably not be an untrue statement since a lot of them burned out their eyes with hot pokers after seeing a creature that amounted to nothing more than a giant iguana running all over New York like the world’s biggest pussy. I mean come on, it had babies? After 1998, it seemed like there was no hope for fans of the Big G to see a decent and respectable interpretation of him outside of Toho Studios.
Enter Gareth Edwards. Until now, Edwards has been the director of a TV movie (End Day), two TV series documentaries (Perfect Disaster and Heroes and Villains) and a short film (Factory Farmed). Oh, I almost forgot about a little film called Monsters. It’s a sure bet that Edwards little film about a journalist escorting an American tourist through a Mexico filled with alien behemoths is the one that got him the directing job on the upcoming Godzilla. Maybe it’s also the fact that Edwards seems to have a respect for the beast and his fans that Emmerich and Devlin were sorely lacking.
Anyway, I’m making a short story long. I’ve included for your viewing pleasure a couple of teaser posters as well as a bit of a teasing head shot from the new film, which is scheduled to be released on May 16, 2014. The film will be directed by Gareth Edwards from a screenplay written by Max Borenstein, Dave Callaham and Frank Darabont from a story by David Goyer. Godzilla will star Aaron Taylor Johnson (Kick Ass), Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) and Elizabeth Olsen (Martha Marcy May Marlene). I’ve also included a little clip from Godzilla: Final Wars that features the best thing that could have ever happened to G.I.N.O., or Zilla, as he is referred to in the clip.
Sign up for e-mail updates at Godzilla Encounter
What would this article be without a little TRIVIA?
A surprise teaser trailer and poster for the film were revealed at Comic-Con 2012.
- Everything Wrong With ‘Godzilla’ (1998) In 7 Minutes Or Less (laughingsquid.com)
- ‘Godzilla’ Ready to Roar at Comic-Con as Legendary Promotes Its Next Creature Feature (horrorboom.com)
- Comic Book Review – Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #1 (lukeowritesstuff.wordpress.com)
- Today’s Comic> Godzilla: Rulers Of Earth #1 (bwmedia.wordpress.com)
- ‘Godzilla’ Viral Marketing Begins: New Website, Set Video & Images (screenrant.com)
- New ‘Godzilla’ Poster and Concept Art (slashfilm.com)
- Comic-Con Posters for GODZILLA and AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. (collider.com)
- Awesome New GODZILLA Poster Teases The Size Of The Massive Monster (comicbookmovie.com)
- AWESOME NEW POSTER SHOWS OFF A MONSTROUS GODZILLA; FIRST LOOK AT THE BEAST! (Rhino’s Horror)
- I Am So Happy That Godzilla Will Actually Look Like Godzilla In The New Godzilla Movie (Crustula)